Date / Starting Date - 13/05/2016 - 15/05/2016
The Stables Chatelherault Country Park
Ferniegair, Nr Hamilton
Update – CANCELLATION PLACE is available! On-line booking is closed but if you are interested in joining the course please contact the office 01273 933115.
COURSE IS NOW FULLY BOOKED. Please do complete the contact form at the bottom of the page to join our mailing list for future courses, or to be added to the list for a cancellation place.
This five-day foundation course is the first part of the full 21-day end of life doula training.
Held in SCOTLAND on 13th, 14th, 15th May+ June 18th and 19th 2016
Themes covered include:
- understanding grief
- emotional and spiritual responses to death
- physical changes at the end of life
- palliative care
- increasing comfort and supportive therapies
- rituals and practices within cultural and faith groups
- socio-legal requirements
- the soul’s journey
- spiritual and self-care practices.
Maximum of 16 people per training group.
Participants can take the Foundation as a stand-alone course or build towards a Volunteer Certificate, or Advanced Diploma.
The course is portfolio based learning and is externally monitored and certified by Crossfields Institute. You will need to register with them for your Certificate, so budget for an extra £220 for the full 21-day training. Doula Foundation Course FAQs Doula brochure 2015-
Course requirements and expectations
The End of Life Doula role requires a high level of self-awareness, reflection, empathy and communication skills; all are personal qualities which straddle a wide range of backgrounds and experiences. A commitment to personal development is essential. We have found that learners drawn to these courses are often on a personal or vocational journey and may include:
- Lay people with a special feeling for being with the dying, who want to support friends, family or colleagues
- People with a professional background, such as nurses, complementary therapists, counsellors, clergy or nursing home staff, who want to develop skills in end of life support
Therefore, we ask that participants have
- An affinity for this subject.
- A willingness to embark upon a personal journey.
- Maturity, sensitivity, adaptability, empathy and good communication skills and are over 18 years old.
- An awareness of, and are open to, spirituality in all its forms.
- A wish to expand their knowledge and become more confident with death and dying.
The course will bring personal experiences and issues around illness, death and bereavement to the forefront and it is important that learners are aware and prepared to manage these. We gauge this through conversations and the short piece of writing we request prior to accepting the registration fee. If an applicant has recently been through a bereavement, we will discuss the timing of their entry on to the course with them.
In the event of a cancellation, if you cancel up to 4 weeks before, 25% of the fee is retained. Less than four weeks, 50% of fee will be retained. If less than 1 week the full fee will be retained.
In the unlikely event of cancellation by LWDW we can take no responsibility for participants travel/accommodation costs.
How to book
You can book and pay in two ways:
- Using PayPal using your credit and debit card – please select PayPal at the end of the booking form below.
- By Cheque or BACs – please complete the form and select “pay offline” using the form below.
If you choose to pay offline we please make your payment as follows, we will confirm your place once payment have been received.
By cheque: Made payable to LWDW Training
By BACS: Barclays Bank, Sort Code: 20-12-80, Acc. No: 63939065
Please send cheques to Event Registration, Living Well Dying Well, The Tin Tab, Cooksbridge Road, Barcombe, Lewes BN8 5TJ
OnlineBooking and Prices
Bookings are closed for this event.